Sunday, June 25, 2017

10 Things Educator's of Students with T1D Should Know


It is difficult enough as a parent to allow my children to be away from me. I am concerned with their safety and well-being 24/7. Though the love and concern is apparent and evident for all children, there seems to be a slightly greater tinge of worry, and dare I say guilt, when it comes to a child with a disability. For me, the six hours a day that my son spends at school can sometimes be filled with stress and anxiety, knowing that at any moment, his situation of stability can shift to one of crisis.  As a measure of stress relief, for his teachers and myself, here is a list of ten items that all educators should know about type 1 diabetes.

  1. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease.
  2. Excessive urination, thirst and hunger are all symptoms of T1D.
  3. Children with diabetes need to eat throughout the day.
  4. Sugary snacks are not completely off-limits.
  5. Children are legally allowed to carry their testing and treatment supplies with them.
  6. High or low blood sugars can alter cognition and behavior.
  7. Hyper- and hypoglycemia require immediate action.
  8. Someone should accompany a child with low blood sugar to the school nurse.
  9. Students with diabetes are eligible for a Section 504 plan.
  10. Students have a right to confidentiality and privacy.
                                                                                     www.weareteachers.com

When educators are aware of these things and implement them in their interactions with students with type 1 diabetes, it goes a long way for the success of that child and the comfort of the parent. My son's teacher is informed and mindful of our situation and what a relief it is to know that my child is not treated differently because of T1D. It is important to note that neither the parent or child is to blame for a diagnosis of T1D; it is no one’s fault. 

My son feels comfortable if he has to leave the room to go to the bathroom or get a drink of water in excess of what is considered normal. He can also snack in class, even if it is against the rules because of the 504 eligibility for modifications and accommodations to fit his special need. I also know that if any changes take place within his body that require medical attention, he will obtain immediate assistance and will not be left by himself. What recommendations would you offer to teachers of a student with type 1 diabetes?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proud Basketball mom

I often speak and write about my son, but I also have a lovely daughter, Savyon, who is nine years old. She too plays basketball, as I repo...