Sunday, June 18, 2017

Wikipedia Rocks


Wikipedia is an awesome resource that grants regular people access to information in a multitude of subjects. Many people do not trust Wikipedia as a source because the site allows its users to make changes, additions and omissions to it. I think it is a great source that does not limit its content to just one or two writers or researchers. For example, I looked up a topic that is near and dear to my heart, type 1 diabetes. The first paragraph I read was very informative and had great information, but I realized, from my prior research, that it was missing a few symptoms from the list. Here is the original Wikipedia paragraph about type 1 diabetes:    
Diabetes mellitus type 1 (also known as type 1 diabetes) is a form of diabetes mellitus in which not enough insulin is produced.[4] This results in high blood sugar levels in the body.[1] The classical symptoms are frequent urinationincreased thirstincreased hunger, and weight loss.[4] Additional symptoms may include blurry visionfeeling tired, and poor healing.[2] Symptoms typically develop over a short period of time.[1]   
The lovely thing about Wikipedia is that I was able to enter the site and add the information that I knew to be true in order to enhance the paragraph and make it more informative for other users.  Here is the new paragraph:
Diabetes mellitus type 1 (also known as type 1 diabetes) is a form of diabetes mellitus in which not enough insulin is produced.[4] This results in high blood sugar levels in the body.[1] The classical symptoms are frequent urinationincreased thirstincreased hunger and appetite, sugar in urine, and weight loss.[4] Additional symptoms may include blurry vision and vision changes, drowsiness and lethargy, heavy breathing, sweet breath, feeling tired, and poor healing.[2] Symptoms typically develop over a short period of time.[1]
Modifying content on Wikipedia was easy. I just created an account, clicked edit source, added my changes and clicked save. I actually thought it would take a day to be checked by Wiki workers, but, nope, it posted right away. So, if you have accurate information that you would like to share, and even become part of the historical compilation of media information, join and edit on Wikipedia.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Proud Basketball mom

I often speak and write about my son, but I also have a lovely daughter, Savyon, who is nine years old. She too plays basketball, as I repo...