Wednesday, June 21, 2017

It's Good to have a Glucose Buddy

With social media, phone applications and online services provided for a host of things, from dog walking to step counting, I decided to research the best apps geared towards people living with type 1 diabetes. The list is overflowing with very helpful apps for anyone who is interested. As a mother of an eleven-year-old with type 1 diabetes, the app that I thought would benefit our lives most at this time was the Glucose Buddy Diabetes Helper.

The Glucose Buddy Diabetes Helper is a free iPhone application that helps parents to log their child’s blood sugar numbers, insulin dosages, carbohydrate intake and daily activities. Additionally, it allows individuals to sync the logs to Glucosebuddy.com where data history can be viewed for free.

Of course, I went to the Glucosebuddy.com website and to my delight, found that it was user friendly and appropriate. There are logs and calculators that allow the user to just input the numbers and then it is all calculated and stored. This sure beats pen and paper documentation. There are also charts for understanding, customization of personal trends for better individualized control over blood sugar levels, and there are exercise, diet and medication tabs that aid people in those areas, as well. This app allows for group forums to take place, where many people ask questions, share information and recipes, and act as a supportive community to each other. Most impressive is this media item’s ability to design personalized meal plans based on an individual’s 90 glucose history. This will take a load off my mind as I try to figure out the best foods to serve my son each day. The only negative to this app is the fact that it is designed solely for the iPhone.

I certainly hope this has been helpful. Please feel free to comment about your own T1D highs or lows and if you use any online apps that help you to monitor or control it.  Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proud Basketball mom

I often speak and write about my son, but I also have a lovely daughter, Savyon, who is nine years old. She too plays basketball, as I repo...