Monday, July 17, 2017

Interview With T1D Mom, Tricia D.

My son spent one week at the Naomi Berrie diabetes summer camp, where he was able to participate in a wide range of fun activities under the guidance of Columbia University Medical Center staff. This camp is both safe and fun for children with diabetes and takes the pressure and stress off of their parents. The camp is filled with many amazing children and their equally amazing parents. I was able to interview one of the parents, Mrs. Tricia D., about her experience with diabetes and how it has affected the different components of her life. Tricia is a special education lead teacher of the Eastchester School District of New York and has over ten years of experience in the field of education
1.      What type of supervisor do you think you are?
I would like to think I am supportive, flexible  and encouraging.
2.      What type of leadership style do you possess and how do your subordinates perceive you?
I think I likely possess a democratic like, sort of informal leadership style. Likely my subordinates perceive me as honest, fair, loyal, hard working, open-minded and flexible.
3.      What relationship do you have with diabetes and how has diabetes affected your ability to perform your work duties?
My son has Type 1 Diabetes. He is twelve-years-old and takes an insulin called Novolog. Though diabetes has not dramatically impacted my performance, it has impacted my priorities. I often take calls when my son tries to reach me even if it interrupts an activity.
4.      How has diabetes affected your relationships with others like friends and family members?
Diabetes has impacted familial and friend relationships in several ways.  Many do not understand the impact of this disease on our family. They don't understand that the disease is LIFE THREATENING!! They do not understand how much effort and patience is involved in maintaining the physical and emotional wellness of my son. They don't know how much he goes through, nor do they ask. As previously mentioned, priorities have shifted. It is difficult for me to listen to complaints about things I no longer "sweat" because of my "bigger picture". So it can be frustrating and isolating at times. I feel sometimes that people don't "care" when they don't ask or seem to be interested in things that go on with my son. More support would help me feel less "abandoned", I guess.
5.  Do you or your family subscribe to a specific diet because of diabetes?
While we, as a family, do not adhere to a specific "diet" we do try to have well balanced meals, we try to limit processed foods and try to eat as low carb as we can.
6.  What advice would you give to a person in a leadership position?
My advice would be to be understanding and supportive of the individual needs of your subordinates.
7.  What advice would you give to a diabetic?
Continue to make good choices regarding your health, be patient and don't give up. Don't let the disease slow you down :)
I thank Tricia for giving an open and honest account of her experience. I love her attitude about priorities. It is difficult for parents of children with disabilities to find the support and comfort they need as they experience the daily ups and downs of the disease. The Berrie Camp is an awesome place that gives respite to parents of children with disabilities. I am glad that the hospital offered him and Tricia's son this week of attendance. I am also grateful to be able to meet others who understand the daily struggles of this circumstance.
My Son, Jayden.
Our Family!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proud Basketball mom

I often speak and write about my son, but I also have a lovely daughter, Savyon, who is nine years old. She too plays basketball, as I repo...