Friday, July 14, 2017

Taking Advice from a Diabetic Foodie

Eating healthy is essential for all human beings, but it is especially true for those who suffer with a chronic illness. People with diabetes are extremely sensitive to diet, as what they eat can mean life or death for them each and every day. From ignoring fast food advertisements and the array of restaurants one may pass each day, to finding ways to make healthy food deliciously appetizing, there are many obstacles to overcome when one decides to eat healthy. One of the greatest obstacles for my family of four is the cost of healthy eating. Have you ever wondered how you can eat healthy on a budget? Shelby, the self-proclaimed diabetic foodie posted an article by Vanessa Davis that gives some amazing advice on what to eat, along with some kid-friendly recipes that will not break the bank.

Davis' article is both disheartening and encouraging. She states that it will cost more to eat healthy; that is just something we have to accept. At the same time, it will only cost $150.00 more than one's current unhealthy diet. I am not sure of the frequency Vanessa is talking about, but I assume she means per month. While this could still be quite high for a family struggling financially, it sure does beat the medical costs that are inevitable with the long-term consumption of unhealthy food.

Vanessa also asserts that there are 500,000 fast food restaurants around the world. How can one compete with that? As Davis states, "learn your way around the kitchen." Cooking is much cheaper than eating out, and with online recipes and free cooking courses, it will be just a matter of time before you are eating healthy and saving money. Davis gives a few tips on how to make the most out of your meals by cooking with seasonal produce and picking foods, like eggs and oats, that are more filling.

Well, I certainly am going to take some of this advice, like figuring out what is seasonal and what is not and incorporating those foods into my family's diet. I can also budget for $150.00 a month by cutting out other expenses like going out to eat at a restaurant, ordering pizza and choosing a matinee over a regular priced movie. I think the sacrifices are worth it and will be beneficial to my entire family for years to come.

Check out my next post which will include the information on seasonal produce that my research has garnered!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proud Basketball mom

I often speak and write about my son, but I also have a lovely daughter, Savyon, who is nine years old. She too plays basketball, as I repo...