Sunday, July 9, 2017

Wikipedia Rocks II


In a previous post I talked about Wikipedia, the interactive website that is not quite considered a reliable source, but that contains tons of information on all subjects. I searched type 1 diabetes, in which an article came up, where I thought the first paragraph could use some additional facts about both the classical and additional symptoms. I posted the paragraph previous to my modifications and then the altered paragraph, which accepted my changes immediately, or so I thought. Upon a recent visit to the same Wikipedia page on type 1 diabetes, I realized that my changes were no longer reflected and the paragraph reverted back to its original format. Let me show you what I mean!   

Original paragraph previous to my changes:
Diabetes mellitus type 1 (also known as type 1 diabetes) is a form of diabetes mellitus in which not enough insulin is produced.[4] This results in high blood sugar levels in the body.[1] The classical symptoms are frequent urinationincreased thirstincreased hunger, and weight loss.[4] Additional symptoms may include blurry visionfeeling tired, and poor healing.[2] Symptoms typically develop over a short period of time.[1]   


Paragraph with my changes included:
Diabetes mellitus type 1 (also known as type 1 diabetes) is a form of diabetes mellitus in which not enough insulin is produced.[4] This results in high blood sugar levels in the body.[1] The classical symptoms are frequent urinationincreased thirstincreased hunger and appetite, sugar in urine, and weight loss.[4] Additional symptoms may include blurry vision and vision changes, drowsiness and lethargy, heavy breathing, sweet breath, feeling tired, and poor healing.[2] Symptoms typically develop over a short period of time.[1]

Paragraph as it currently reads:
Diabetes mellitus type 1 (also known as type 1 diabetes) is a form of diabetes mellitus in which not enough insulin is produced.[4] This results in high blood sugar levels in the body.[1] The classical symptoms are frequent urinationincreased thirstincreased hunger, and weight loss.[4] Additional symptoms may include blurry visionfeeling tired, and poor healing.[2] Symptoms typically develop over a short period of time.[1]

I am not sure about the process that takes place for changes to become permanent within Wikipedia, but apparently my modifications did not make the cut. If you know how this works, please enlighten me; I welcome the comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proud Basketball mom

I often speak and write about my son, but I also have a lovely daughter, Savyon, who is nine years old. She too plays basketball, as I repo...