Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Basketball Mom

Although I have to admit that I was an avid quitter when it came to sports and athletics as a child, I do understand and appreciate the importance of exercise and physical activity for overall health and well-being. The American Heart Association says: 
Staying active is one of the most important things a person can do to help curb obesity, lower your chances of heart disease and live healthy. Being physically active is important to prevent heart disease and stroke, the nation’s  No. 1 and  No. 5 killers. Physical activity is anything that makes you move your body and burn calories. This includes things like climbing stairs or playing sports. Aerobic exercises benefit your heart, and include walking, jogging, swimming or biking. Strength and stretching exercises are best for overall stamina and flexibility.
Of course now, as a mother of two children, I am very active in making sure they take part in the recommended amount of physical activity. For this reason, I have enrolled them in basketball. My son is a point guard and my daughter is a power forward. They have each been playing for five years. They enjoy the sport and have made close friends with their teammates. As a result, I have become a basketball mom.

My children are on two separate teams because one is a boy and one is a girl. That means twice the practices and twice the games. I am at a basketball event about four times a week and I love it. The reward of seeing both kids grow physically and get better athletically feels amazing. The camaraderie and friendships that I've built with other parents is also very satisfying. The excitement of games is fun and exhilarating. It also makes me happy and proud to know that my children are engaged in an activity that is good for their health and is taking the place of something that may be less productive, like watching television or playing video games. Do I have any concerns?

As most parents, I worry about the safety of my children. I don't want them to get hurt while playing basketball. For Jayden, this is a little more intense because he has the added possibility of his blood sugar level getting too low. That is a constant concern of mine because if that happens, he can pass out and go into hypoglycemia. Is this why I remain at all practices and attend all games? I like to think that my love of the sport and my children and my children playing the sport is what keeps me in the gym four times a week, sometimes getting home after 11 pm. Yes, it would be ideal to run errands after I drop them off while they practice for two hours, as some parents do, but not only don't I have that luxury, I actually do not even have that desire. I am present at all of the practices and games. So I am the basketball mom. 


What do I think makes a basketball mom? A basketball mom is a parent who:
  • provides transportation for other children to and from the gym 
  • makes sure that their child(ren) and others do not get hurt 
  • passes out snacks and 
  • ties shoelaces 
  • cheers on and encourages their children 
  • cheers on all of the children on both teams
Are you a sports mom or dad? Please share with me about your sports experiences, past and present, your own or your children's! I'd love to hear about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proud Basketball mom

I often speak and write about my son, but I also have a lovely daughter, Savyon, who is nine years old. She too plays basketball, as I repo...